The building is a large Grade II* listed town house located on the west side of the old market place, the hub of the town and historically the interface between the town and the Abbey itself.
The house is of mid-16th century origin; with major reconstruction work undertaken in the 1690’s. The Bury St Edmunds Town Trust purchased the property from the Borough Council in 2009, with the Tourist Information Office as a tenant on the ground floor. The upper two floors had been unoccupied for many years and the interior had been little altered since the last major phase of alterations in 1868. The practice oversaw an initial phase of repairs to the external fabric then the Trust formulated a scheme to convert the upper floors to a single apartment so that the Trust could then sell the building onto a sympathetic owner to complete the repairs.